ASU - out of memory?

Tilman Baumann tilman at
Thu Aug 21 17:08:29 CEST 2008

Tilman Baumann wrote:
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>>> I remember there was a proposal for a more intelligent oom killer system
>>> on lkml some time ago. No idea if this is still around.
>>> (Was afaik some preemtive notification to userspace)
>>> Intuitively the answer is clear. Kill the culprit and not just something
>>> big. But what is to kill? And how to determine without allocating any
>>> more memory...
>>> I have never seen any craceful oom killer yet.
>> really - we need a userspace "oom" that is "Smarter" (it knows what a system
>> daemon is and what a user application is and what is a "necessary user desktop
>> process"), so it will always kill "apps" not the phone daemon or the window
>> manager or the launcher etc. it will stick to finding "visible apps" that have
>> gone rogue and nuke them.
> Had not followed the story, but seems to go in the right direction

As i said. Never ending story.
I was not sure this was the story i remembered. So i searched a bit

As you can see, they are well aware of the problem. But somehow there is
no universal solution yet. (of which i know)

But it seems to me like we could use someone to dig into this topic and
find a good solution. (I'm not really a VM guy)
Because clearly, plain oom-kill is bad. However the vm handles memory.

Maybe a stupid solution like looking for unusual growth of swap usage
might even do the trick.
But i really like the SIGDANGER idea...