Debian on the FreeRunner -- a few questions/solutions

Joachim Breitner nomeata at
Thu Aug 21 22:56:20 CEST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 21.08.2008, 21:06 +0200 schrieb Fox Mulder:
> First of all i must say that i'm quite impressed with debian on the
> freerunner. It runs quite smooth most of the time and the software
> choices are realy nice. :)

> First thing is that i can't find the setting, when the display dims the
> brightness. The default setting dims it after some minutes (~3-5 min, i
> didn't measure it) what is way to late for battery usage. Also it would
> ne nice to set the maximum brightness and not always maximum (63).

This should probaby be configurable in frameworkd. You should search for open bugs on that. If there are
none, you can open them, and optionally add a nice patch :-)

> Then i wanted to use openoffice, what would make me really happy because
> i only use OO on my desktop as well. But after i inetalled it i can't
> start it. When i try to start any OO app i got the following error message
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice: line 365:  2088 Illegal instruction
>     "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
> where the second number increases with every try. "soffice" seems to be
> a start script, but i can't find the problem why it doesn't work. :(

I guess not many people have tried openoffice on armel yet :-). As Timo
correctly said, it might be a bug in the Debian build and should be
reported there.

> Then i wanted to ask if there exists a recent navit version for debian.
> For 2007.2 i got one as ipkg which works really good with navigation and
> speech output, but for debian i can't find any precompiled package.
> I have the apprehension that i must compile it myself, but if this is
> going well is another story. ;)

Some people are working on it:
Maybe you can help here by finding out what’s stopping them (if it’s
still the copyright stuff) and maybe helping upstream with sorting out
their copyright information.

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata at | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: 4743206C
  JID: nomeata at |