ASU - out of memory?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at
Fri Aug 22 02:25:49 CEST 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:29:45 -0400 Clinton Ebadi <clinton at>

> You've just rediscovered one of the few good design decisions of the
> l4hurd project. See the bits on memory allocation in [0]. 'Tis a shame
> that Hurd has pretty much failed (l4hurd and ngHurd got closer and
> closer to fixing the terrible flaws of Mach Hurd ... but, alas, l4
> stagnated and Coyotos has yet to appear dooming us to another 30 years
> of UNIX it seems).
> [0]

you know what's sad? WinCE even has "low on memory" messages - standard system
messages like everything else that applications are meant to honor and try and
clean up stuff when they get it. it of course is voluntary - and it's a measure
to avoid HAVING to kill off apps... but even WinCE has it... and we have no
such ability right now - no standard... so we are stuck with uglier hacks as
the only solution. :(

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster at>