ASU keyboards, again

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 26 14:40:50 CEST 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:35:53 +0200 julien cubizolles <j.cubizolles at free.fr>
babbled:

> I've installed raster's image, mainly to get its great keyboard, and I
> love being able to switch modes/adding my own (french keyboard).

great! see below about adding a french dictionary :)

> However I have some isssues.
>
> 1 : sometimes, an application calls a keyboard and I get stuck with the
> old keyboard. Is there a way to prevent that from opening so that no
> matter what I always get raster's one ?

this is a matter of qpe still making its keyboard and qpe and illume clashing.
it manages to make sure no big mess happens, but it means it's a luck of the
draw (first in, first served) as to which keyboard gets displayed. :( can't
turn qpe's keyboard off currently.

> 2 : I don't understand how "predicive" those two keyboards are. For me
> predictive would mean suggesting the n+1 (or n+p) character when I have
> pressed n keys. At the moment the only thing it does is suggesting
> several combination of n keys, to correct some typos I would have made.
> It's very annoying since the word I correctly typed isn't necessarily
> displayed among those suggestions. Is that how a "predictive" is
> supposed to work or am I missing something here ?

with illume's keyboard (my one) in the latest illume's you get a dictionary. it
should be possible to create a french dictionary - take /usr/share/dict/words
from your desktop (i assume you have a french one) and:

sort -f words > French.dic
scp French.dic 192.168.0.202:/usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/illume/dicts/

(assuming your FR is plugged in). then it will use french words to predict - if
you select the French dictionary. :)

but as such it will display the most likely matches in the dictionary based on
how far the "typo" is from the word (the closest wins). it doesn't try and
predict at all - only "fix" so you have to type all the letters - it just makes
up for typos and a "fat finger" on a "small screen". press top-left dictionary
icon to select dictionaries when no word is being composed (select this to list
ALL matches - EXACTLY what you typed will be the first thing in the list always
- if you select it it gets added to your personal dictionary so it can match
and fix your typos later).

> Btw Is there a way to scroll through the suggestions of the predictive
> keyboard ?

illume's one? left dict icon above the keys of the keyboard - vertical list of
them. just drag it up and down - select the one you want. :)