2008.8 update

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 26 15:38:56 CEST 2008

The problem is OM are not responding in a way that reassures us that
2008.8 is being shaped to our concerns.  I raised a bug that the default
2008.8 keyboard was almost impossible to use in anything but an english
sms mode.  The bug was closed  with what to an English speaker means
"its working, so go away".  This certainly teed me right off.  In
postings since, its been explained that this was actually because of the
way the bug reporting system works with engineering, and it doesnt work
like we are used to in most opensource projects where you can raise a
bug about ANY concern and it will be attended to/allocated as required,
not closed because it doesnt neatly fit some engineers idea of a bug.

So basicly yes, Yorick is speaking for very many of us.  There is a
severe usability issue with 2008.8 and its being ignored.  Saying its up
to the community to fix is laughable - we have fixed it, so why is OM
not listening?

Yes, I am still peeved by the way the bug was closed - why bother
raising bugs when it results in actions like this?  Its all very well
saying its open, give them a chance etc, but eventually, something will
have to change here.

BillK