ASU Illume Tango Theme

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 27 01:46:20 CEST 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:22:53 -0500 Alexey Kurochkin
<alexey.kurochkin at pathfinderlwd.com> babbled:

> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 19:54 +0200, "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" wrote:
> > Lars Formella wrote:
> > > because i personally dislike the build in asu/illume theme - in german we
> > > call it "augenkrebs" ;) - i created a new fresh one myself with some tango
> > > icons. it is still in the early grade (i have no freerunner to test and
> > > played around just with qemu), but maybe some one like it. stay tuned for
> > > updates and more tango replacements comming...
> > >
> > > you can find it here:
> > > http://52grad.de/.stuff/freerunner/
> >
> > I've made a little patch [1] to make it work properly also in landscape
> > mode. Maybe it's just a workaround, but it works [2]!
> >
> > Thanks for your updates to this cool theme!
> >

> > [1] http://www.3v1n0.net/openmoko/illume_sun_landscape.tar.gz
> > [2] http://www.3v1n0.net/openmoko/Illume-tangoized-landscape.png
> >

> Cool. But I still do not grasp a concept of compiling something just to
> change the wallpaper... Can it be done easier? Can I override theme
> somehow with simple text based configuration?

edje is what e uses for wallpapers - why? a wallpaper (jpg, png) holds no
DISPLAY info - do you tile it? center it? stretch? stretch and keep aspect?
how? align what way? etc. edje can encode all that and much more - as well as
the image too. e has a wallpaper browser dialog - no need to edit and compile -
e does this for you (if you use it on the desktop). but this dialog is not
enabled on ASU - it's been hidden/removed, so you're left with no choices but
to do it all by hand.

as for compiling - think of it like zipping up an archive. it takes a set of
images, text config and creates an archive with the images re-encoded as
defined (lossy, lossless etc.) as well as converting al the text into a
pre-built config value tree with defaults and other stuff all filled in. this
saves parsing at runtime and makes it more efficient as .edj files are used for
pretty much everything in e - it's a core tool and they are dynamically loaded
all the time - nigh every element in e is a edje element of some sort loaded
from a file - this allows e to load only as needed, as the loading is really
fast because it's been designed that way.