USB cable hacking

Harald Koenig koenig at
Wed Aug 27 17:45:36 CEST 2008

On Aug 27, Daniel Dadap wrote:

> Hello Community,
> I just bought a portable USB battery pack ( one of these:
> ) to use with my
> FreeRunner so that I could keep tangogps running to log a track for me
> during a bike ride. It worked quite well: I was able to keep the unit
> powered on for over 12 hours and still had some juice left over to
> make some phone calls at the end of the day. However, I noticed that
> the FR was only drawing 100mA. I was sort of hoping that the battery
> pack would emulate a USB host and negotiate current, but it looks like
> it just has available power.

have a look at

which works nice for me (you can force charge mode to 500/1000 mA),
after patching pygtk:

and if the icon doesn't show up:

I've modified a bit to display the (de)charging current too,
my script version attached...

"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
Donald E. Knuth, 02-Oct-2001 in Tuebingen.        <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
Harald Koenig                                           //  /     \\  \
koenig at                     ^^^^^       ^^^^^