Is it possible to netboot a FreeRunner?

Jan Keymeulen spam at
Sun Aug 31 17:01:58 CEST 2008

On Sun 31 August 2008 om 14:30:11 GMT Al Johnson told us:
> On Saturday 30 August 2008, Andreas Zuber wrote:
> > Am Samstag 30 August 2008 10:06:01 schrieb Torfinn Ingolfsen:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just got a strange idea into my head. So I'll ask a possibly silly
> > > question:
> > >
> > > Is it possble to netboot a Neo FreeRunner? Can you netboot at all over
> > > usb? Does uboot have netbot support?
> >
> > I know uboot from an other embedded system, where it was installed, and it
> > is able to download a kernel from a tftp server to the memory. This is done
> > by the "tftpboot" command.
> > There is also a "dhcp" command so uboot can get an ip for the network.
> >
> > But i dont know if uboot can handle the usb as a network device. Someone
> > has already tried this?
> I think it can be done, but you will now need a custom kernel. When moving the
> USB ethernet gadget driver from built-in to module Andy Green (IIRC)
> mentioned that someone needed it builtin for netbooting with rootfs on NFS.

Booting with rootfs on nfs != netbooting.

Netbooting gets a kernel from a tftpserver, while rootfs on nfs requires
a kernel already loaded. The problem here is that it's uncertain whether
uboot can handle the usb network interface (or wireless or bluetooth).

"There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you
do something we'd all love one another."
  -- Frank Zappa