OM2008.8, GPRS using multiplexing and GUI for Vodafone Live! in Mumbai

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at
Sun Aug 31 19:34:51 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Nishit Dave <stargazer.dave at>wrote:

> Hi,
> I am going by the instructions here:
> I have installed the gsm0710muxd and everything seems to have gone fine.
> Now, using the Services GUI, I am not able to get GPRS working.  First, the
> settings I have for my connection
> user:
> password:
> (both are supposed to be blank)
> APN: portalnmms
> Primary gateway IP:
> Port:9401
> On my FR, my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets now read like
> this:
> # client        server  secret                  IP addresses
> *         *       ""                  *
> The last line of my /etc/ppp/peers/gprs file reads
> user *
> (should this be user "" or user "*" ?)
> as advised here:
> (replaced
> I'm using *99# as the default dial number, as it isn't clear what Vodafone
> Live! uses in Mumbai, India.
> Ross Barkman ( says the settings
> should be user: guest, secret: guest.  However, it doesn't seem accurate.
> I don't know whether the gateway IP is to be inserted in the routing table,
> and if so, how the port is to be specified.  From the first couple of
> attempts with the scripts and GUI, GPRS seemed to work but actually it
> didn't.  Now, I only get a FAILED status report in the GUI.
> Can anybody tell me if I need to modify the pap/chap-secret files, or the
> gprs file, or the dialled number?  If this starts to work, I can start using
> the FR as my daytime (office only) phone plus the GPS.

OK, got GPRS to work.  I was reading a GPRS HowTo somewhere, and realized
that I only had to comment out the
user "PUT_USERNAME_IN_HERE" field in /etc/ppp/peers/gprs.

The scripts now work, and I can get GPRS running in two-three attempts.  The
gateway address can be declared as the http_proxy (and
HTTP_PROXY) address in environment variables, and specified in your
favourite browser when on GPRS.

The settings above are valid for Vodafone Live! GPRS Mumbai India.  Just for
the record.