SD boot freeze, hang at boot time, why ?

Maelvon HAWK maelvon.hawk at
Mon Dec 1 03:15:05 CET 2008

Marian Flor a écrit :
> Am Sonntag, den 30.11.2008, 18:46 +0000 schrieb Andy Green:
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>> | Starting kernel ...
>> | </freeze>
>> |
>> | Someone can tell me what's happening ? Or give me any clues to repair
>> | that, and a place to report the bug.
>> Best thing is figure out if it's a kernel issue or just userspace...
>> fiddle with your U-Boot env to add "console=tty0 loglevel=8" on the
> Maelvon,
> I had a similar issue with a 16GB card. Resolution was to add some
> sleep(1) time before mmcinit is called. Works fine after after adding 2
> seconds of sleep.
> See:
> and reference to original post:
> HTH,
> Marian

Thanks Andy and Marian,

I'll try to add the loglevel=8 to the U-Boot, not tested for now.

First I have tested the Marian solution, and I understand now the
difference between the NAND and NOR. NAND can be modified with the script file. The NOR cannot be modified.

I'm testing Hackable:1. I've installed Debian before Hackable:1, and
modified the NAND menu  a few weeks ago but always boot in NOR, so I
don't know if it work with the default and Debian in

Testing the Marian solution, I've modified the NAND boot, added the
"sleep 2;" but on NAND boot it say now :
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - mmc 1:1 **
Wrong image format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

I'm using the Hackable:1, so I think it was the problem as it boot
Hackable:1 normally in the NOR (fat+ext2), with allright the freeze
problem for Flash and MicroSD.

I've done a "fsck.ext2 -v -y -f /dev/mmcblk0p2", but no changes.

Any clues,