Optimization team update (11/23 ~ 11/29)

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Tue Dec 2 08:46:09 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 09:29:48PM +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
> 2008/11/30 John Lee <john_lee at openmoko.com>:
> >
> > Echo:
> >
> > Since there are different hw versions out there (a5, a6, a7), it's
> > impossible to provide one alsa state file that suits all models.
> > However, it seems you can always find appropriate values for your
> > neo.  My way is to adjust
> > control.4 Speaker Playback Volume in
> > /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmhandset.state
> >
> > the max value is 127, 95 works best on my a5.  With volume level 3 or
> > 4 in qtopia dialer, the other side can hear no echo while I get good
> > audio quality.
>
> Apologies in advance for what may be a dumb question - but does this
> statement represent the conclusion of your team's work on audio issues
> (buzz/echo/hiss etc.)?  Or is there further work ongoing?

No, it's not the conclusion.  We will keep working on that.  I just
described how I get the best out from the current sw/hw.

> I very much hope the latter.  At the very least, I feel we need a
> definitive and full description from your team of what the issues are,
> and the best available solutions (hardware and/or software) for them.
> If some of those solutions are version (a5, a6, ...) dependent, then
> they must include precise instructions on how an Openmoko user can
> determine which version they have.
>
> Once that description is available, either you or someone else can
> turn it into some kind of code or package, so that we can all take
> advantage of it.

Okay, I will think about this.  I think the only real limitation here
is we cannot ask everyone to do the soldering by him/her self, other
then that, any software based solution is possible.  Let me dig this
deeper with the kernel and hw people.

- John