First impressions on new Android rootfs

Jim Ancona jim at anconafamily.com
Tue Dec 2 16:21:16 CET 2008

Cédric Berger wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 14:27, Gothnet <openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net> wrote:
>> Improvements since the first release are evident, the graphics are now pretty
>> glitch free where they used to occasionally flicker.
>>
>> However, since the last image I flashed, bluetooth has stopped working, I
>> now just get a message saying "Unable to turn on Bluetooth".
>>
>> Wifi claims to turn on but fails to scan. Can't remember if this is better
>> or worse than before.
>> No keyboard, will attempt to find a way to install the one mentioned here:
>>
>> http://lists.openmoko.org/nabble.html#nabble-td1583918
>>
>> Err... does anyone know if suspend/resume works yet?
>>

> - suspend/resume is known not work yet (at least not reliably).

Using Sean's new rootfs and his tracking kernel, suspend/resume does
seem to work fairly well for me. I am seeing some spurious resumes, but
I think that may be the GSM re-registration issue. I should apply the
modem firmware upgrade, I guess.

> - indeed bluetooth does not work anymore, but I guess it is because of
> the newest kernel. I did not try it again with previous kernel though.
> (anyway before I could scan/pair bluetooth but I could not do anything
> more with it -file transfer, ...-).

Haven't tried bluetooth.

> - wifi still does not work. It is acknowledged by Sean and he is
> investigating on this.

Scan doesn't work. I was able to connect to an open network using the
Add a Wi-Fi network option in settings. I was able to check email using
Wi-fi. The browser crashes without a message.

> - with latest kernel, for exemple, backlight brightness is not managed
> anymore. (because of some kernel changes). I tried Sean's modification
> :
> ("You'll need to change /system/build.prop:
> backlight.lcd=/sys/class/backlight/gta02-bl    ").
> But I did not manage to get it work yet.
>
> - Also Sean is working on integrating the software keyboard from Rui Castro .

Until he does, I'm using the Q&D keyboard app that was mentioned here a
while back. It works via cut & paste, but gets the job done.

> For now, most wanted for me is a keyboard, and internet connectivity
> (90% off android applications need internet access !).
> Wifi does not work, GPRS either (for me at least), and I did not
> manage to have internet access via USB  (though I have read this may
> work ? Success anyone ?).

Sounds like my wish list. I haven't tried GPRS yet.

I'd add that I'd really like to see code access via some sort of public
repository plus build instructions so I could experiment and possibly
help with fixes etc.

Jim