debian and xfce?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at
Tue Dec 2 20:13:05 CET 2008

Op dinsdag 02-12-2008 om 19:06 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef arne anka:
> > /etc/init.d/zhone-session
> > doesn't exist.
> zhone-session is dead.
> what is used instead is nodm, which is installed by default (even at your
> fr according to the ls).
> > my link:
> i think joachim posted a howto a while ago, search the archives for
> "nodm". it basically comes down to starting xfce from ~/.xsession.

Right, I'm using nodm and it works fine.
I've also added my own user, so I'm not running as root all the time.

I did that following this bit (Skip the second instruction.)

Then I only changed the username in /etc/init.d/nodm file (from root to

Then I created the /home/skerit/.xsession file:

xfce4-session &
zhone &

And last but not least, I had to add this to the /etc/hosts file: localhost debian-gta02

I'm not using the matchbox window manager, btw. I had more problems with
it then with xfce4's wm.

Jelle De Loecker