andy-tracking kernel?

Andy Green andy at
Wed Dec 3 17:36:04 CET 2008

| I've seen a lot of references to the "andy-tracking" kernel.  A search
| of archives yields some info about this with regard to a shift to the
| 2.6.27 kernel.  However, I've not been able to really understand what's
| in it, or what the current state of the kernel is.
| Would someone mind elaborating a little on a few points:
| 1.  Is this generally available?  If so, where? has new binary versions every day or two
at the moment.  These are "moredriver" kernels that have everything
critical built in the kernel, but there's also a matching module tarball.

If you're using U-Boot to boot it, U-Boot has a 2MByte kernel limit by
default and you need to meddle it:

setenv bootcmd setenv bootargs \${bootargs_base} \${mtdparts}\; nand
read.e 0x32000000 kernel 0x300000\; bootm 0x32000000

Qi (the new bootloader replacing U-Boot) doesn't have these problems.

| 2.  I'm currently running Debian with the stock kernel that gets put in
| place by the script.  Can I use this kernel with Debian?
| There are caveats on the Debian pages about using other kernel, so has
| anyone used this with Debian successfully?

Dunno what the caveats involve, I used Debian in runlevel 3 anyway with
random kernels.

| 3.  What do I get with it?  What is at risk?
| Thanks... I apologize if this info is out there somewhere, but I have
| spent a significant amount of time digging through past threads, and I'm
| just not getting a complete picture.

You can try it out on an SD Card for very low risk.

The main features are

~ - Suspend / Resume changes (should be way more stable)
~ - pcf50633 driver rewrite (fixes some troubles)
~ - WLAN driver now uses mainline SDIO stack (should fix some probs)
~ - Android-ready
~ - Kernel features and fixes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.28

There will be some breakage of features for a while since there are many
changes to /sys paths used by various things, but the rootfs people
should catch up soon.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -