andy-tracking kernel?

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Wed Dec 3 17:36:04 CET 2008

| I've seen a lot of references to the "andy-tracking" kernel.  A search
| of archives yields some info about this with regard to a shift to the
| 2.6.27 kernel.  However, I've not been able to really understand what's
| in it, or what the current state of the kernel is.
|
| Would someone mind elaborating a little on a few points:
|
| 1.  Is this generally available?  If so, where?

http://people.openmoko.org/andy has new binary versions every day or two
at the moment.  These are "moredriver" kernels that have everything
critical built in the kernel, but there's also a matching module tarball.

If you're using U-Boot to boot it, U-Boot has a 2MByte kernel limit by
default and you need to meddle it:

setenv bootcmd setenv bootargs \${bootargs_base} \${mtdparts}\; nand
read.e 0x32000000 kernel 0x300000\; bootm 0x32000000
saveenv

Qi (the new bootloader replacing U-Boot) doesn't have these problems.

| 2.  I'm currently running Debian with the stock kernel that gets put in
| place by the install.sh script.  Can I use this kernel with Debian?
| There are caveats on the Debian pages about using other kernel, so has
| anyone used this with Debian successfully?

Dunno what the caveats involve, I used Debian in runlevel 3 anyway with
random kernels.

| 3.  What do I get with it?  What is at risk?
|
| Thanks... I apologize if this info is out there somewhere, but I have
| spent a significant amount of time digging through past threads, and I'm
| just not getting a complete picture.

You can try it out on an SD Card for very low risk.

The main features are

~ - Suspend / Resume changes (should be way more stable)
~ - pcf50633 driver rewrite (fixes some troubles)
~ - WLAN driver now uses mainline SDIO stack (should fix some probs)
~ - Android-ready
~ - Kernel features and fixes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.28

There will be some breakage of features for a while since there are many
changes to /sys paths used by various things, but the rootfs people
should catch up soon.

- -Andy