TwitterMoko 0.4 out

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Thu Dec 4 00:44:06 CET 2008

Hi Carlo,

Am Mittwoch, den 03.12.2008, 22:18 +0100 schrieb Carlo Minucci:
> Jelle De Loecker ha scritto:
>
> > I'm currently using Twitux on my debian install, I don't mind trying out
> > TwitterMoko
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Jelle De Loecker
>
> thanks :)

I looked a bit more at your project, and I have a few suggestions that
would make packaging it easier:

 * Please use a proper setup.py (using the python distutils) to
   install your files into the proper locations. See
   http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/openmoko-panel-plugin.git;a=blob;f=setup.py;h=d6056f95561b9a8f4f602fc968e0bc8e6ca7a18b;hb=HEAD
   as an example.
 * Using this setup.py, you can create proper and consistent tar-balls
   using "./setup.py sdist". Make sure that you set the version number
   corresponding, and check that all required files are included.

Given such a sdist-created tarball, one can easily make a
low-maintenance Debian package out of it, and also other distributions
can pick it up more easily than with an uncommon way of distribution
your software.

Additionally, while reading through your code, I’m wondering (please
don’t take this personally): Does TwitterMoko have any advantages over
existing projects such as twitux? What are it’s distinct features? Is
there a good reason to fork and launch curl for each access, passing all
parameters via the commandline and possibly not fully escaped, and
blocking on the output of curl, instead of using some asynchronous http
library directly?

Also, the config should be saved in, say ~/.twittermoko.cfg, instead of
a global place, and probably created with mode 660 (who knows, someone
might actually have a guest ssh login to his FreeRunner :-)

I hope this does not discourage you from working on TwitterMoko, but
give you some hints on how to improve it – but I think befor inclusion
in Debian, things have to evolve a litte bit.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner