Optimization team update (11/30 ~ 12/06)

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Sun Dec 7 17:50:14 CET 2008

Dear Community,

Team status update:

As in
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-December/036792.html
(send/receive files via bluetooth in NEO), Erin keeps working on
bluetooth.  Jeremy fixed some qtopia and location bugs, and will
continue learning more about kernel.  The GTK redraw problem is fixed
now (#1946) so Julian will be back to help with the Paroli edje files
and keeps working on python.  Olv is having kernel fun now, but since
it's gta03 related, you probably won't see him a lot on the public
kernel list.  Tick mostly worked on opkg this week.  Basically there
are two big issues:

* Incorrect behavior: as Tick indicated on devel list, there are still
  some logical error in opkg, which caused some problems during
  upgrade.  That's why I have to use the -force-overwrite option in my
  previous upgrade howto.

* Efficiency: opkg is obviously not very efficient, both in memory and
  in speed.

Maybe we could expect another opkg release soon.

Qtopia:

OM is moving more focus to gta03 now, so my current resource for
qtopia is fairly limited.  Currently the things I want to fix most
are:

* UCSD problem
* Window focus (soft menu disappear, problems when multiple sms come
  in, etc.)
* Partial import of sim contacts.

Please suggest if anything missing and I'll arrange my priorities.

There are several good things worth mentioning last week:

* The infamous WSOD (#1841) seems to be solved.  It's already in
  testing repo.  Praise for all helped in this!

* GTK redraw problem (#1946) solved along with similar problem in qt
  with an illume patch.  Thanks, Raster!

p.s.  It seems my last update might have created an impression that
the only way to try the testing repo is to upgrade from Om2008.9.
It's not true.  Another way is to flash directly from
http://downloads.openmoko.org/daily/testing/
if you don't mind reflash the phone.

another p.s. Someone in OM kindly reminds me that my post can create
inappropriate impressions, because although the logic is correct, the
words and tongues might be misleading.  My native language is Chinese
(and I'm a master of words and tongues in Chinese), so it's kind of
difficult for me to enhance this.  All I can do is encouraging you to
go ahead and ask if anything unclear, and keep in mind I'm a Taiwanese
engineer when you read this. ;)

Regards,
John