[u-boot] Environment garbled after setenv?

Evgeniy Karyakin anthropophagite at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 22:53:44 CET 2008

Joachim Breitner:
> Am Sonntag, den 07.12.2008, 21:07 +0300 schrieb Evgeniy Karyakin:
>>     I see it as environment broken and afraid to say "saveenv" which can
>> make this uncertain state permanent. What can it be, have anybody seen this?
>
> In fact, I have. I observed this when I was trying to modify the uBoot
> environment from the device, in the Debian installer. I wanted to
> provide a way to completely do the installation from on the device. But
> after my changes, I have seen the problems that you have, so I wrote the
> configure-uboot.sh script.
>
> You can still see my work in the debian installer, by running
> $ ./install.sh uboot
> which runs the code (it is not normally run by ./install.sh all).
>
> If it turns out that the reason was just pure accident (or something),
> and not the fact that I was modifying from on the device, we could
> enable this and make the Debian installation even easier.
>
> Test reports appreciated!

    I modified (shorten) your script for my needs and it works without
an error, although I haven't really got my end station. After flashing
environment with your script and then reading it back I see that
environment reflects the changes desired. But getting to u-boot console
shows me old env variables (printenv), and booting microSD card from NOR
menu actually invokes old menu_1 setting -- I can see that after ssh-ing
into the phone and seeing what's in /proc/cmdline. Strange.
    My modified script is in attachment in case you're curious.