Optimization team update (11/30 ~ 12/06)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 7 23:50:43 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 11:24 -0800, Christoph Siegenthaler wrote:
> Dear Community
>
> I've been testing todays openmoko-testing-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2 together
> with testing-om-gta02-20081207.uImage.bin after following the ML without
> actually flashing my freerunner a lot (for a few weeks).
>
> Positive:
> - Boot time improved
> - Suspending worked fairly well
> - At least one sms received (the second, sent from the FR to my own number
> didn't work)
> - probably a lot more improvements

Regarding SMS, I tripped over something on the weekend that appears to
have solved it for me so far - more testing needed.

I noticed that the batget program often had multiple instances that
"blocked" for some time, especially after resume.  I killed them and
suspended, and an SMS arrived and everything worked!  This is such a
very very rare event that I sent/received a dozen or so messages over
the weekend without problems - the phone woke from suspend everytime and
qtmail started up fine.

batget works with the battery icon on the shelf, so this stops working
after a "kill batget".  To keep batget from starting, use the "spanner"
to remove the battery module.

I surmise that on resume, the FR is so busy with programs like batget
that messages are dropped - depending on your software fit, may effect
some more than others.

Be nice to have it confirmed so its worth raising a bug?

BillK