Optimization team update (11/30 ~ 12/06)

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 21:33:42 CET 2008

On Monday 08 December 2008, Esben Stien wrote:
> John Lee <john_lee at openmoko.com> writes:
> > opkg is obviously not very efficient, both in memory and in speed
>
> I don't care much about opkg since I use debian, but is there some
> rationale for developing a new package management system that I can
> read?

It's not exactly new. ipkg was developed for linux on iPaq because dpkg/apt
was thought to be too resource hungry for such a constrained device. If you
look at the workarounds applied to fit debian into NAND on the Freerunner you
will see why. Purging package metadata comes just after purging unnecessary
locales in the space saving measures. opkg is a contnuation of ipkg which
IIRC stopped being maintained.