Newbie: Converting a brick to a phone

Tom Yates madhatter at
Tue Dec 9 08:35:11 CET 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Roland Whitehead wrote:

> Yes there are many different distributions out there but what is very
> clearly missing are simple, obvious instructions on how to go from a
> brick to a working device - just a machine that will turn on and off,
> will ring, answer and make calls, not hang and not have buzzing when on
> a call.

modulo the buzzing, which i never had and cannot therefore say how to get
rid of, my OM running 2008.09 does all that.  it's my day-to-day business
and personal phone.

full instructions, including the version of images i'm booting from and
what i've done to fix each of the problems, are at .

> If you have a working machine, could you blat it and rebuild it to get
> to the same position as you are in now?

yes, i've done so twice, that's what the instructions are for.  but
hopefully they'll be of some use to you, too!

       Tom Yates  -