Optimization team update (11/30 ~ 12/06)

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Tue Dec 9 15:10:26 CET 2008

polz wrote:

> That's just common sense. If you want a working phone, just stick to the
> Freerunner, maybe try and help get it into a working state. Once the base
> system is working, you can always buy a GTA03 to get some new, faster,
> shinier
> hardware.

Yes, but I'm wondering who they think is going to buy the 03 when the user
experience for the 02 has been so poor and it looks like development effort
is being shifted off it when the phone is still basically in alpha testing.

> Don't worry, the software on your phone is free, it'll stay supported as
> long
> as there's at least one user willing to keep building images/packages for
> it.
> You're likely to run out of replacement parts or break it unintentionally
> way
> before then.

That's not in any way the same as having paid development effort to get it
up to a base working state.
And it's not support I'm worried about, it's the absolute basic
functionality and reliability that's at issue here.