No more optimization team

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Wed Dec 10 10:58:36 CET 2008

David,
the optimization team finished their work a few weeks ago, most people
were working on new tasks already.
I knew before I had to take the blame for expectations that got
unprofessionally raised to a level where we could not deliver, and
here I am now taking the blame.

Let me explain Openmoko's software strategy for the next 6 months:

---1 current stable image
Our current stable image is called 'Om2008.9', available at http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9/
We are sometimes cherry-picking fixes into it, but admittedly not as
many as we would like. If someone wants to step up to become stable
maintainer for this image and cherry-pick more fixes into it, please
let me know.
Alternatively, a number of other images are available, Debian, Qt
Extended, Android, FDOM, SHR, etc.
See http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Distributions for a more
comprehensive list.

---2 Mickey's framework milestones
As many people know, the next big thing for Openmoko will be Mickey's
FSO framework around d-bus and Python, and the Paroli telephony UI.
See http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenmokoFramework
A few weeks ago, Mickey released milestone 4, available at http://downloads.freesmartphone.org/fso-stable/milestone4.1/
In late January, he plans to come out with milestone 5, in late March
with milestone 6.
See here for a more detailed roadmap: http://trac.freesmartphone.org/roadmap

---3 next major release, Om2009
After the next 2 FSO milestones, Openmoko will fork off a stable
branch, and spend 2-3 months on testing and bug fixing. This will lead
to our next major release, Om2009.
The telephony UI will be Paroli, see http://code.google.com/p/paroli/
The way things are going right now, we will probably have this release
mid-next year.

That's about it. Lots of good stuff happening in that direction, most
importantly I would mention the progress with our .28 kernel, improved
wifi driver, some attempts at getting more out of the glamo chip,
improved boot time, etc.
Yes, the Optimization team is gone, as part of a bigger company
reorganization. Some people were laid off. Some new ones are being
hired.
John did a great job, and I hope he stays around to continue his
excellent work, for example to bring the optimization improvements up
into dev.openembedded.org so that more people can see the progress.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang