No more optimization team

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Wed Dec 10 11:13:01 CET 2008

Bernd,

> i am sure there will still be optimization, but without a dedicated
> team, so there won't be regular updates.

Correct.
 From my perspective the updates weren't helpful anyway, I'd rather
not talk and instead deliver.
The latest image, including all optimizations from the optimization
team are in
http://downloads.openmoko.org/daily/testing/
(openmoko-testing-om)

We were testing this image a bit, haven't seen the full test report
yet. More or less it will be the same as Om2008.9, the most noticeable
improvement will be boot time reduction to about 1 minute.
Now the work in that branch (org.openmoko.dev) is finished, and
instead we will bring those fixes upstream into org.openembedded.dev,
benefitting many more users, first thing Mickey's FSO builds.
Two more FSO milestones over the next 4 months, with optimizations of
course continuing everywhere in that time, then a fork into another
major release branch.

ACTUALLY - speaking about all this - we are looking for a serious
distribution maintainer. Someone who can do the exceptionally hard
work of distribution integration, fixing bugs, small and large, from
top to bottom of the stack, from UI to kernel, across many packages.
Someone with a proven Free Software background.
Any applications just email me.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang