Optimization team update (11/23 ~ 11/29)

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Dec 10 12:05:51 CET 2008

arne anka wrote:
[...]
>>> OK, but do you need to be so imprecise about this?  What can't there
>>> be a definitive solution?
>
> because the echo is caused only partially (if at all) by hardware.
> especially gsm 1800 providers like e-plus in germany have been reported as
> echo prone.
> additionally people reported different experiences depending on their
> location in time and space.
> and last but not least: nobody knews what exactly N0187 is doing, and if
> it will live trough firmware updates, since it is not documented.

With echo problems varying so much, maybe the definite solution is
to have an advanced setting, with options such
as "no echo cancel", "undocumented N0187", and whatever other
options there are.

A sane default, and those who disagree just set something else they
like. Just like suspend timeout which doesn't have a definitive solution
either.

Helge Hafting