[Android] Converting a brick into a phone

Warren Baird photogeekmtl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 22:48:28 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Rui Castro <rui.castro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Like many people in this community I have my Neo resting comfortably
> in my desk because there isn't a stable OS with the basic phone
> funcionalities available at the moment (I already tried all the
> distributions available). Some distributions provide some of the basic
> stuff, but they're not reliable in many ways.

I'm definitely feeling like a broken record now - but I have to disagree
with you - QtExtended 4.4.2 is a stable OS with basic phone functionality.
The only major annoyance I have with the basic phone functionality is that
you get some duplicate messages in the SMS inbox - I use google calendar
with SMS notifications for my calendar solution, and I have to empty my
inbox maybe once every week or two.

I do tend to prophlactically reboot the phone every few days, but I've been
using QtExtended 4.4.2 as my day to day phone basically since it came out,
and I haven't missed calls, or not been able to make calls because of it.  I
finally gave up on carrying around my emergency backup phone - which I had
to resort to regularly when I was using FDOM or OM.

I must admit that I'm looking forward to being able to use the smart-phone
features of the FR, so I agree it'd be great if Android or SHR or someone
else was able to provide the phone stablity of QtE, plus everything else...

Warren