Notes about the current testing image

John Lee john_lee at
Thu Dec 11 10:43:17 CET 2008

Dear community,

Here is the note I kept about the current testing image.  Part of it
was already in the status update I sent before.  I modified a bit to
match the current situation and put it here so it could be archived.
Please remember that since it's not in stable repo, it is a subject to
change.  What I wrote here only applies to the testing image for the
last couple days.

Upgrade from Om2008.9

Note: you can also flash new image in

Note: only upgrade from a clean Om2008.9 image is tested.

sed -i -e 's%Om2008.8%testing%' /etc/opkg/*.conf
/etc/init.d/xserver-nodm stop
screen -DR
opkg update
opkg -force-overwrite upgrade
# please ans Y to all questions
# the sshd (dropbear) will restart, so you need to reconnect and do
# 'screen -DR' again
opkg upgrade  # just in case
shutdown -r now

To get the fastest boot time you also need to remove the following

opkg remove task-base-nfs task-base-smbfs task-base-bluetooth \
task-base-usbgadget avahi-daemon avahi-autoipd blueprobe \
usb-gadget-mode portmap exquisite exquisite-theme-freerunner \

Known problems about upgrade

* Dropbear restart during opkg upgrade

* some obsolete packages (like kernel modules) still left in system

* will purge your incompatible e config, so you might need to set
  stuffs like suspend time again.

Known issues

* usb network won't work at first boot if you flash new image (#2096)

* Illume sigsegv (#1767) - make sure you use asu theme if you use
  software_16 engine.  If you want to use illume theme, you must
  switch to 'software' engine via illume config (in the upper shelf)

* must remove 'ro' in kernel boot parameter if you use sd boot.

* Most of the
  are still there.

Changes related to the dismissed optimization team

#1267: echo AT%Nxxxx patch applied, credit of Treviño

#1489: qtopia volume bar

#69: boot time scripts.  Some qtopia modifications as well.

#1347, #2113: userspace suspend/resume

Touch screen driver enhancement: see

#2031: Scroll list enhancement.

There are still many todo items left on my list and some items half
done, but we didn't have enough time to finish them all.  Sorry.

No definitive software solution yet.  A way to improve it is:

control.4 Speaker Playback Volume in

the max value is 127, 95 works best on my neo.  With volume level 3 or
4 in qtopia dialer, the other side can only hear a minor trace of echo
while I get good audio quality.