Notes about the current testing image

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.org
Thu Dec 11 10:43:17 CET 2008

Dear community,

Here is the note I kept about the current testing image.  Part of it
was already in the status update I sent before.  I modified a bit to
match the current situation and put it here so it could be archived.
Please remember that since it's not in stable repo, it is a subject to
change.  What I wrote here only applies to the testing image for the
last couple days.

Upgrade from Om2008.9
---------------------

Note: you can also flash new image in
http://downloads.openmoko.org/daily/testing

Note: only upgrade from a clean Om2008.9 image is tested.

sed -i -e 's%Om2008.8%testing%' /etc/opkg/*.conf
/etc/init.d/xserver-nodm stop
screen -DR
opkg update
opkg -force-overwrite upgrade
# please ans Y to all questions
# the sshd (dropbear) will restart, so you need to reconnect and do
# 'screen -DR' again
opkg upgrade  # just in case
shutdown -r now

To get the fastest boot time you also need to remove the following
packages:

opkg remove task-base-nfs task-base-smbfs task-base-bluetooth \
task-base-usbgadget avahi-daemon avahi-autoipd blueprobe \
usb-gadget-mode portmap exquisite exquisite-theme-freerunner \
exquisite-themes

Known problems about upgrade

* Dropbear restart during opkg upgrade

* some obsolete packages (like kernel modules) still left in system

* will purge your incompatible e config, so you might need to set
  stuffs like suspend time again.

Known issues
------------

* usb network won't work at first boot if you flash new image (#2096)

* Illume sigsegv (#1767) - make sure you use asu theme if you use
  software_16 engine.  If you want to use illume theme, you must
  switch to 'software' engine via illume config (in the upper shelf)

* must remove 'ro' in kernel boot parameter if you use sd boot.

* Most of the http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om_2008.8#Known_Issues
  are still there.

Changes related to the dismissed optimization team

#1267: echo AT%Nxxxx patch applied, credit of Treviño

#1489: qtopia volume bar

#69: boot time scripts.  Some qtopia modifications as well.

#1347, #2113: userspace suspend/resume

Touch screen driver enhancement: see
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2008-October/002822.html

#2031: Scroll list enhancement.

There are still many todo items left on my list and some items half
done, but we didn't have enough time to finish them all.  Sorry.

Echo
----

No definitive software solution yet.  A way to improve it is:

control.4 Speaker Playback Volume in
/usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmhandset.state

the max value is 127, 95 works best on my neo.  With volume level 3 or
4 in qtopia dialer, the other side can only hear a minor trace of echo
while I get good audio quality.

Regards,
John