[Android] Converting a brick into a phone

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Dec 11 11:49:03 CET 2008

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> Am I completely daft or isn't the focus on FSO and Paroli et all
> precisely what you're whining about?
>
> If you have to whine, do so at serious problems like the White Screen of
> Death (which is now apparently solved, at least worksforme).

There is a kernel image somewhere that doesn't go WSOD under
any circumstances?  Or just some patches?

I would like to switch to 2.6.28 - much faster and the WIFI
seems to work well.  I never suspend so I don't know about WSOD
on resume, but all 2.6.28/2.6.26 kernels I have tried
tends to go white whenever I start a game that switch screen
orientation. Duke nukem is impossible, numptyphysics may also
fail to start.

The screen is dead then, but not the phone. (ssh works)

So I use old 2.6.24, which seems to work, but nothing is as
snappy as with the newer kernels. Menus appear slower, games
are slow and jumpy, there is generally more waiting. And
forget the WIFI.  But at least I have a useable phone with SHR.

Helge Hafting