[Android] Converting a brick into a phone

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Thu Dec 11 14:44:22 CET 2008

Didier Raboud wrote:

> arne anka wrote:
>
>> the facts known about google's remote control of the android g1
>> (privately
>> owned devoces, mind you!) are absolutely horrible, and i don't want to
>> support any effort in that way.
>
> +1 from me too.
>
> Don't use Big Evil Google !

I don't want them having my data, it's true, I don't use their services
(other than search) because I don't believe in giving control to third
parties.

However, in this case, they have provided an open source mobile phone
operating environment that is responsive, pretty and provides a hardware
agnostic application environment. With a little bit of market penetration
(and there are already many vendors looking with phones in the works) a
software community far wider than a single device could spring up.

And with it being OSS I can make sure the version I run is not subject to
any google control.

I agree that google are currently in a moral grey area, (and outright wrong
about controlling people's phones) but I don't think android should be
dismissed for this.