[Android] Converting a brick into a phone

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Fri Dec 12 04:06:39 CET 2008

The Buzz is introduced into the Neo mic. ( Rf enters the mixer, and you
will see a ripple on the DC coming out to the mic) consequently the far
end of the call may hear a buzz.

There are two potential fixes: The rework Joerg is drafting ( adding a
CAP) smooths the ripple and theoretically attenuates the buzz. I think
you may see some loss in mic sensitivity so a minor adjustment to the
mic sensitivity ( via ALSA states) may be in order.

Another fix would be to address the root cause and prevent the RF
from entering the mixer. This change is more substantial and requires a
layout change. It would involve adding some beads, changing the mic,
and minor mechanical changes to the case.

My preferred path is to test out the simple fix detailed in Joergs
document as that fix can easily be applied ( the theory goes) to devices
in the field.