FreeRunner Happiness

Greg lunved at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 13 01:47:35 CET 2008

Hi,

With all the recent talk about FR problems I think its a good time to share my
recent good experiences.

When the kernel with the WSOD fix went into testing I immediately installed a
clean image on a 2Gb SD card.  I changed the boot params to remove the "ro",
installed Raster's keyboard, I got rid of the default keyboard, switched to
the illume theme, changed the "engine" to the "software_x", and imported my
contacts.

I've been using it as a daily phone for a week now with no problems. No WSOD
(Yay!), no recamping issues, only one caller mentioned echo (their end was
loud, so I turned the vol down - sorted). Everything just worked.  Sure, the
UI seems a bit slow, and answering calls can take a bit of guessing as to
when the audio paths are setup, but I'm really happy with it.  I get about 60
hours before the battery icon starts to go red, which is not a huge amount,
but easily enough to work with.

Now I have a phone with a notepad, an ebook reader, a PDF reader, and a GPS.
This means I can always take notes, refer to manuals and locate new sites.
Since I work for a systems integration company this is great stuff - its like
having a toolkit and reference set in my pocket.  Oh yeah - it is also a
phone :-)

Have fun,

Greg.