FreeRunner Happiness

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 13 02:54:19 CET 2008

ok, but its not all roses:

If you switch to software_x, the gsm icon no longer shows signal
the settings app no longer works (I think they are tied together)

and I still miss/get delayed SMS messages when suspended (I can improve
by removing the battery module, but thats a real pita as you cant tell
at a glance what charge is left)

but overall, a *LOT* better than 2008.9
BillK

On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 11:47 +1100, Greg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With all the recent talk about FR problems I think its a good time to share my
> recent good experiences.
>
> When the kernel with the WSOD fix went into testing I immediately installed a
> clean image on a 2Gb SD card.  I changed the boot params to remove the "ro",
> installed Raster's keyboard, I got rid of the default keyboard, switched to
> the illume theme, changed the "engine" to the "software_x", and imported my
> contacts.
>
> I've been using it as a daily phone for a week now with no problems. No WSOD
> (Yay!), no recamping issues, only one caller mentioned echo (their end was
> loud, so I turned the vol down - sorted). Everything just worked.  Sure, the
> UI seems a bit slow, and answering calls can take a bit of guessing as to
> when the audio paths are setup, but I'm really happy with it.  I get about 60
> hours before the battery icon starts to go red, which is not a huge amount,
> but easily enough to work with.
>
> Now I have a phone with a notepad, an ebook reader, a PDF reader, and a GPS.
> This means I can always take notes, refer to manuals and locate new sites.
> Since I work for a systems integration company this is great stuff - its like
> having a toolkit and reference set in my pocket.  Oh yeah - it is also a
> phone :-)
>
> Have fun,
>
> Greg.

Home in Perth!