kismet on freerunner

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 12:52:10 CET 2008

On Sunday 14 December 2008, Joop Boonen wrote:
> On Wed, November 26, 2008 2:26 pm, David Reyes Samblas Martinez wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> FATAL: Failed to set monitor mode: Invalid argument.  This usually means
> >> your
> >> drivers either do not support monitor mode, or use a different mechanism
> >> for
> >> getting to it.  Make sure you have a version of your drivers that
> >> support
> >> monitor mode, and consult the troubleshooting section of the README.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Nowadays wifi drivers doesn't support monitor mode, the only way to
> > use freerunner as kismet scaner is attaching an usb wifi dongle.
>
> Why don't the drivers support monitor mode?

It's not the drivers, it's the firmware on the atheros wifi chip. Much of the
wifi processing happens on the chip instead of in the kernel, so we only get
the modes it supports. Monitor mode is not among them.

> Would it be possible to add it to this driver? To me it's not preferable
> to add an extra wifi dongle when the device has wifi itself.

It would indeed be preferable, but you'll have to convince atheros to modify
their firmware before it can happen.