Graphical GPRS launcher for FSO-based distros

Nathan Kinkade nath at
Sun Dec 14 23:38:30 CET 2008

2008/12/14 Valery Febvre <vfebvre at>:
> Nathan Kinkade wrote:
>> I recently started using SHR and am very happy with it.  GPRS worked
>> nicely, but I had no good way of launching it.  Yes, I know, there is
>> the framework-settings utility, and it works, but it doesn't tell me
>> the current status or give any feedback other than showing the button
>> as pressed and sometimes the button would be pressed, yet the
>> connection failed in the background.
>> Anyway, I put together a small tool that uses Gtkdialog.  Hopefully it
>> could be useful to someone else:
>> It seems to work nicely for me.  It can be used to start the
>> connection, stop the connection, or to simply find out the current
>> GPRS status.  It requires Gtkdialog which didn't have a package in the
>> SHR repository, so I built an ipk from the latest sources.  It's the
>> first ipk I ever built, so it's surely of low quality in terms of
>> metadata, but it works:
> Brillant idea. Nice to have gtkdialog, it can be an alternative to
> python/gtk in some cases.
> I found a small bug.
> A </button> is missing in GPRS_UNKNOWN string.
> --
> Valéry

You're right, thanks!  I fixed the missing </button>.  I'd like to
find a little more documentation.  The examples that come with it are
good, but there were some things I wasn't sure about and I found it
really difficult to turn up anything useful on the Web.  For example,
it would be nice if the buttons were bigger.