Ask Sean Moss-Pultz about community matters

Yorick Moko yorickmoko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 18:31:54 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors
<timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:
> "Yorick Moko" <yorickmoko at gmail.com> writes:
>> * It's still more reliable and easy to use a 20EUR cellphone than use
>> the FR as a daily phone, more than six months after Openmoko said it
>> was mass market ready. I love the FR, but should we admit that some
>> things really went wrong? (for example working on a graphical
>> installer app before telephony worked fine, or when everyone was
>> craving for the qwerty button (I never heard even one user who said he
>> didn't want it) and nobody listened? Will things change?
>
> I realize you are asking Sean but I can't resist giving my own
> opinion: I've been thinking along the same lines. However, the
> workaround to GSM bug #1024 was really not easy to discover (it relied
> on undocumented AT command that afaik was not even in the NDA'd source
> code openmoko people have access to). Also, the wlan issues required
> deep kernel knowledge. Asking people who do pretty UIs to stop before
> these are resolved probably does not do much good since they could not
> help with the lower level stuff anyway?

i understand what you say and i certainly do not totally disagree; and
I really don't get TI for not documenting ALL their AT commands.
but the fast is I personally think that before calling something mass
market ready; you have to see if you can place and receive calls with
it reliably and with acceptable quality.
I understand why the GPS thing wasn't seen in the factory (although
they should have done some real-world testing also) and they were very
open and honest about it. But the buzz and echo should have been
noticed, worked on and resolved after this much time. Yes, echo is
nearly resolved in SHR for example, but the volume is still too low
and yes there is a hw fix for the buzz (which is not trivial) and yes,
there is also a hw fix for some of the audio (almost no bass)
problems; and I'm gratefull for these things. But it really took a
while and these where things that should not have existed for such an
extended period in phone. The Framework is making good progress, but i
still miss calls or don't receive sms'es. Qtopia is "ok" (the version
Hypnotize made, because the trolltech one sucked big time) but I feel
that with qtopia I only use 200% of the potential of my phone.
And with the NDA thing of the glamo greame also did very good work to
let the community participate.

but in the end I just want a working, reliable phone and I hope I
won't have to wait another half year