Black SOD for a change

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Dec 16 17:01:31 CET 2008

I tried to figure out how to put this stuff into
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1841 but I can't find any way to do
so on the page even when logged in. Maybe it's got something to do with
the top saying
"Warning: <acct_mgr.web_ui.MessageWrapper object at 0xb6497e2c>". So
I'll just complain here and you can stick it where you like.

Okay; two Freerunner units, one restores semi-okay, one's screen
typically goes all black after an otherwise successful restore (not
before showing the appropriate display for a moment though), doesn't
recover, doesn't seem to react
to /sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/
backlight/pcf50633-bl/brightness. The device remains accessible via
usbnet. Trying to restart X doesn't seem to do much. (I've used it
without suspend until recently, since everything about that has seemed
fucked anyway for a long time.)

Tried with these images w. opkg upgrade with Timo's recommendation, at
least somewhat works on the other device:
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/pipermail/fdom-development/2008-December/000192.html
Also tried 20081212-testing on the problem one, same deal, after
restore, there's maybe a second of UI visibility, then instant black.

What the fuck? BSOD for a change? Should I just bitch to my EU retailer
for warranty replacement since it's just affecting the one unit at least
here? Or is it just that the software side is too fragile still with
races upon races and the code just happens to work with the other device
by chance? WSOD fixes that don't quite work right? What to try to narrow
it down, what data to put out (and where, really)?

(Yeah excuse me, I'm getting somewhat frustrated after spreading moko
awareness 'round here and trying to keep optimistic, but problems upon
problems with critical functionality where one has no idea whether the
device is just trash already or if it's maybe possibly still salvageable
sometime, somewhere, if the drivers actually worked, *sigh*.)

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjr at iki.fi>       - http://www.iki.fi/mjr/blog/
The Finnish Pirate Party         - http://piraattipuolue.fi/