[Illume/Debian] How to customize Illume?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Dec 17 00:29:59 CET 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:28:03 +0100 joakim at verona.se babbled:

> I want to customize Illume like this:
>
> - the AUX button will pull down the top-shelf. The top shelf will show
>   itself over full-screen applications such as Evince.

i'd need to add code that so there is a bindable action. making it over
fullscreen windows means the top bar actually needs to move and change stacking
while apps are in fullscreen. though.. what you want is really below...

> - The top-shelf will have a screen-lock button, similar in function to
>   the current behaviour of AUX.

hmm i think you want another feature. i added this recently - syscon. its the
"system control" module that presents a middle-of-the-screen popup with "things
you can do" one of them is actually a screen lock - others are "suspend", "go
home", "power off", "close app" (by default - this is configurable, but no gui
to do it at the moment).

so this can be bound to a key by default (a button) and it is - the power
button. so fullscreen apps even while up can be closed with pressing power,
then the close button, or you can "go home" to launch other apps - and when
back home - you have the top-bar. so this should cover everything... except one
thing i've missed: no "give me a qwerty keyboard button". i'll add that so
fullscreen apps can have a "qwerty" button to show/hide the vkbd forcibly. :)

all you need - is for X to produce keystrokes for aux and power buttons. :)