Stage of GTA03 development?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 02:27:03 CET 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:13:39 +0100 "Leonti Bielski" <prishelec at gmail.com>
>
> babbled:
> > I don't think closing such information (which is not any dangerous
> > inside info) would be a good policy for a company which main goal is
> > creating an OPEN phone ;)
> > Some of the questions like availability and price are not important to
> > me because I'm not going to buy it anyway, but I'm interested in
> > specifications :D
>
> actually - it makes sense not to  be open. why? you cannibalise sales on
> the freerunner as people go "ooh.. ok. i'll just wait for gta03 instead of
> buying gta02". so it's bad business to go parading around your next gen
> device while you still sell the existing one (before the next gen is for
> sale). :)

Depending on the feature set that can cut both ways. It could also be a case
of "I was going to wait for gta03, but I absolutely can't have a phone with a
camera so I may as well get gta02 now" for example. A must have for one
person can be a deal breaker for another. I pick the camera as an example as
I used to work on a site where cameras weren't allowed, but keypads and
screen resolution have polarised opinions before too.

I'm still waiting for the Psion 5 form factor with modern guts ;-)