Stage of GTA03 development?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Wed Dec 17 16:28:36 CET 2008

Leonti,
sorry I was a bit too ironical in my answer. So let me explain.

Nikolaus

Am 17.12.2008 um 15:24 schrieb Leonti Bielski:

> Nikolaus, I don't get what's wrong with my questions?

Nothing is wrong with the questions. Only expecting precise answers
from the project team before there is an official annoucement of a new
device. That is what I allude to with my comments.

I have no inside information but I know from other such projects that
there is not really a decision being taken at a certain time that can
be published before the first samples come out of the factory.

It is always possible in such projects to have late changes and revise
some previously done decisions. E.g. making the device a little
larger. Removing a camera because the supplier can't deliver etc.

For the GTA01 and 02 the OM hardware team has been more open - but
they also had to discuss endlessly about changed decisions and
slipping time schedules. This draws a lot of attention from the real
project and does not help to make it faster.

> 1. About the case design - it  was a poll on ML about different types
> of case - with keypad, without, slider, etc. So I think it make sense
> to ask what was finally chosen.

It could also be that nothing has been choosen yet. Or several
variants of which one will finally reach production. So what should OM
officially say today?

> 2. GSM chip:
> Look in here how many chips were considered:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MokoForesight
> It makes sense to ask which one was chosen, doesn't it?

Mickey has given a statement showing a clear preference. But until it
has been purchased in quantities, shipped to the factory and prepared
for production, it is not finally "choosen".

> 3. GTA03 is internal codename, like GTA01 and GTA02, but they are
> called Neo1973 and Neo Freerunner. I seriously doubt GTA03 will go on
> sale with GTA03 name.

Yes, I doubt as well. But fixing the brand name is not required until
approx. 2 months before launch. If we assume (which can be completely
wrong) that launch is in Summer - nothing could have been choosen at
all.

As said before, I don't know about their internal project plans and
how good they achieved any milestones.

> 4 and 5, don't want even bother to comment this.

There is no specific availability announced. And no price. So the only
thing we can guess from the outside is that they will have a
comparable price to other devices and devices will come when they are
finished.