Crackly Calls and Battery Tips! A5/A6 rework. Corrected URL

Joel Newkirk freerunner at
Wed Dec 17 17:14:24 CET 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:56:46 +0000, "Neil Jerram"
<neiljerram at> wrote:
> 2008/12/17 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at>:
>> I find myself wondering how many V5 FreeRunners are in the field and
>> whether the owners thereof would want the ability to 'update' to the V6
>> hardware fixes.
> Before that I'd like to know how I find out which version I have.
> Tried googling/wiki/just looking inside, but couldn't find anything
> clear yet.
>         Neil

Take out the battery, SIM and uSD.  Where the contacts for the uSD meet the
PC board there will be a SMD capacitor (about .5x1mm) between two of the
contacts, _IF_ it's newer than V5.  I don't know what the physical
difference is for the power tweak. (V6 can power up from wall power without

You can also look at the datecode on the serial/imei sticker under the
battery, but I don't know the exact cutoff date.  I know that datecodes
from June are V5 and from August are V6.

Joel Newkirk      (blog) (FR stuff)