Peter Abplanalp pta-openmoko at
Wed Dec 17 19:36:11 CET 2008

after my last email, i went looking around the wiki and found this
which talks about "testing" images and so i downloaded and flashed the

booted it up and within 5-10 suspend/resume cycles i got the wsod
again.  should these images have the fix?  if not, can someone point
me to a kernel/rootfs that doesn't wsod?

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Peter Abplanalp
<pta-openmoko at> wrote:
> let me preface this with thanking andy, all the devs and om for all
> the hard work.  i'm really excited about om and their "free your
> phone" ideas.  i am happy to support this effort by buying a phone
> that isn't 100%.  that said, there are some things that irritate me...
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Andy Green <andy at> wrote:
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>> | i have been reading about this fix for a couple weeks now and how it
>> | is in andy-tracking and testing and how it was supposed to be in
>> | stable "soon."  reading your email, andy, i assume that it is now in
>> Nicolas' patches went in to our stable kernel 12 days ago, but when the
>> various distros update to that, or if they want to use some different
>> kernel tree is up to them.
> do any of them document this?  i can't for the life of me figure out
> which kernel each distro is using.  why can't i just install what i
> want and then opkg upgrade to the latest?  how dependent are the
> distros on the kernel?  can i install a kernel from "here" and a
> rootfs (distro) from "there"?  if so, where are the "blessed" kernels?
>> | so, my question is: what is the easiest way to get the wsod fix.
>> | which distro, which uimage, etc.  my choice would be to use andy
>> | tracking since that seems to be the future but i understand that most
>> | of the distros will have some broken bits due to some changes.
>> |
>> | this is really the last annoyance for me in using the phone on a
>> | regular basis.
>> The kernel packages in testing repository have the workaround:
> ok, thanks for the link but that is a list of packages.  how do i get
> a phone with that on it?  if i install om2008.9, does that get me
> there?  do i need to opkg update/upgrade?  do i need to modify my opk
> config first?  if so, how?
> as i said above, i'm content to own a "brick" due to the fact that i
> want to support this effort but i'd still rather have a working phone;
> however, i just can't seem to get there.  things are just too
> splintered.  i can't figure out what bits to put together in order to
> get a working phone with my particular annoyance fixed.
> thanks,
> -peter

Peter Abplanalp