Navit and espeak trouble

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 23:27:57 CET 2008

I also needed a bit time until i got it working together.

First problem was that speech-dispatcher doesn't start at boot because
it want to create /var/run/speech-dispatcher/speech-dispatcher.pid wich
doesn't work at boot-time. Don't know why, because it works after i
booted up. So i start speech-dispatcher in a script just before i start
navit and end it after i quit navit.

Then i tried text2speech with "espeak" and "spd-say" and spd-say works a
bit better for me. First i tried in the console if text2speech was
working. After successful tests i had to edit the speech line in
navit.xml to [1].

Last problem was that navit doesn't speak german. But i just had to set
the LANG variable before starting navit and adding the "-l de" parameter
to spd-say.

And now it works together without problems. Only the speech output
sometimes stutter a bit because it needs quite much cpu.

Ciao,
     Rainer

[1] <speech type="cmdline" data="spd-say -l de '%s'" />