Stage of GTA03 development?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Thu Dec 18 09:46:54 CET 2008

Am 18.12.2008 um 00:12 schrieb Will Siddall:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Justyn Butler
> <justynbutler+openmoko at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Replace the mc75i with a 3.5G modem! Go on, surprise us all!

We perhaps will be most surprised how much a 3G modem will cost...

>> I have to agree with Justyn and say that we need a 3G phone.  I
>> bought
> this phone in hopes that I can use it when I travel around.
> Unfortunately, when I leave the country, it just becomes a toy to play
> around with and most of the time I have to leave it behind :(

Why that?

I don't own a 3G phone but a UMTS wireless card for my Mac.

My practical experience is:

a) in areas (urban) where you have HSDPA speed, you also have WiFi
hotspots

b) in all other areas (more rural) your connection falls back to GPRS
anyway

So, a phone that combines GPRS and WiFi is a little more difficult to
connect
to the correct network but has no dramatically worse connectivity than
real 3G.

2 months ago I had to run a VNC connection to my server back home
through GPRS.
Slowly, but it worked.

Improving to 3G is therefore a "nice to have" for me. Not mandatory.

Nikolaus