Trying to get support for some Neo setup problems...

john dowd jdowdster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:32:05 CET 2008

Well, I flashed my Neo with the Om2008.9-gta02-20081106 image and
jffs2 file system and I have a phone that boots once again. In fact I
have it fully functional with my original target of an automatic wifi
connection using WPA2 encryption to my Access Point. I'm running a
laptop with hostapd and a USB wireless Dongle configured to be the
wireless access point. I'm building my system out of experimental
parts as a demo for my customer.

On the laptop I have:
2.6.28-rc5 kernel (experimental)
USB Wireless Dongle driver rt2x00usb (experimental and I had to hack it)
hostapd Appilcation (release 0.6.6... experimental)
Asterisk - open source PBX application

I was using a Nokia e71 wifi and SIP enabled phone to connect to the
access point that I had created but it would not see the SSID of my
Access Point. This worried me since I had created it all on bleeding
edge s/w and perhaps I had bled myself into a corner but, when I
checked, all other devices could at least see my access point. I just
happened to have been given a Neo Freerunner by the customer as well
for "future" work. Well, it had 3 obvious advantages over the Nokia
phone,

1. I could get at the s/w on it.
2.  It Moos when it flips over.
3. Thanks to the ground breaking work of Carlo Menucci, it sends good vibes!!

The last step is now before me, I need to get a SIP phone to work on
the Neo (that's why the customer had originally chosen the e71, its a
SIP enabled phone). There seems to be 2 available for the Neo but both
present me with problems. The SIP phone called "Twinkle" is only
available on the Debian distro. The SIP phone called "Linphone" seems
to have some library issues.

Is there an easy way of porting a Debian package to the opkg format?
Can the library issues with "Linphone" be easily solved? The errors I
see when I try to install it as per the instructions on the "Linphone"
page is:

root at om-gta02:/etc/opkg# opkg update
parseVersion: ERROR: epoch in version is not numberparseVersion:
ERROR: epoch in version is not numberparseVersion: ERROR: epoch in
version is not numberparseVersion:
ERROR: epoch in version is not numberDownloading
http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/all/Packages.gz

this goes on for quite some time.

Cheers!!