mxDateTime on Openmoko?

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:40:00 CET 2008

Thanks Timo,

I'm wanting to install gnue-forms on my phone for some database work.
When I didn't have mxdate time installed at all, I would run the
gnue-forms installation script and it would complain, predictably,
that I hadn't met the requirements.

I apt-get installed it onto my ubuntu laptop and copied the produced
files onto the phone, the application now tells me that I have the
*wrong* mxdate time installed:

root at om-gta02:~/gnue-forms-0.6.1# python setup.py install
running install
checking GNUe Common Library
checking mxDateTime library
*** You don't have the (right) mxDateTime binaries installed !
---
Could not import the mx.DateTime package.
Please install mxDateTime from the mxtools suite.
The file 'INSTALL' contains more information about dependencies.
root at om-gta02:~/gnue-forms-0.6.1#

I can produce the same results with:

root at om-gta02:~/gnue-forms-0.6.1# python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Oct 14 2008, 01:51:25)
[GCC 4.1.2] on linux2
>>> import mx.DateTime
*** You don't have the (right) mxDateTime binaries installed !
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mx/DateTime/__init__.py",
line 8, in <module>
   from DateTime import *
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mx/DateTime/DateTime.py",
line 9, in <module>
   from mxDateTime import *
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/__init__.py",
line 13, in <module>
   raise ImportError, why
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.so:

I see that /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.so
is a binary file. Perhaps I could replace it with a compiled binary
from the Openmoko debian distribution and it would work? All I would
have to do then is get Debian to work on my openmoko ;-)

Cheers,

Joseph