Default IP Address on All Distributions

Sargun Dhillon xbmodder+openmoko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 20:27:55 CET 2008

The OpenMoko FreeRunner was never aimed at end users. It's always been
aimed at developers, and if you don't know how to set routes do a man
"ip" or "ip help." There are a fair chunk of those developers who
don't have the IP overlap issue. I'd say there are maybe 1000 active
freerunner users, and maybe 60% of them have an overlapping IP. I
counted how long it takes to change the IP (on debian) (including
adding routes, setting link up), and it was about 45 seconds. That's a
total of 7.5 man hours world wide. Installing active desktop, and all
the other crap for my palm phone takes 20-35 minutes--way longer.
Anyways, I'm just saying 7.5 global hours isn't very much when you're
considering mass market smart phones probably soak up millions of
hours a year. Additionally, 7.5 is NOTHING, especially when there are
6.5 billion people in the world. Stop yer whining.