[debian] enlightenment has no png loader?

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 18 23:44:57 CET 2008

I noticed that there are now e17 packages in debian unstable, and that
these include -dbg packages.  Since my current e17 (from the
enlightenment-all-in-one deb that someone put together) always SEGV's
on startup, and since Raster has asked for backtrace with symbols when
that happens, I thought I'd uninstall enlightenment-all-in-one and try
the new Debian packages instead.

But now, enlightenment_start bails with:

ESTART: 1.49197 [0.75791] - test file format support
<<<< Enlightenment Error >>>>
Enlightenment found Evas can't load PNG files. Check Evas has PNG
loader support.

(full output attached).

>From googling, it looks like I'm missing a package with name like
evas-loader-png, which doesn't appear to be available in Debian yet,
and I guess I just need to wait a bit longer for the packages to get
to that.

Is that all correct?  Or is there another problem / solution here?

Thanks,
      Neil