Wifi - wep or wpa enabled

ant at truebox.co.uk ant at truebox.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 11:01:31 CET 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008 05:58:06 Rodney Myers wrote:
> Default install.
>
> Does the wifi work only with wpa? or does it also work with wep?
>
> My internal wifi is wep enabled only, and  I cannot get the phone to
> recognize the key.

Way back when I first got my phone, on the factory install, I managed to get
it to talk WEP (using iwconfig etc at the command line). It was a bit flaky -
eg you had to set things in a certain order and sometimes you had to wait a
couple of minutes if you put the key in wrong. So /theoretically/ it can be
made to work. Having said that, I've not got it to work on 2008.x or FSO
recently (not even with wpa_supplicant) , and have more or less given up; if
I'm out of the house/office wifi ain't gonna be helpful to me, and in the
house/office I'm never >10ft away from a running linux box with USB.

There's still a few of us about stuck with WEP - yes I know it's breakable but
on the other hand getting WPA working means me buying a) new laptop b) new
wireless router c) new wireless bridge.