Performance Issues using Neo wifi and WPA2

john dowd jdowdster at
Fri Dec 19 16:52:35 CET 2008

I'll have to look through the community mails then. I have seen people
referring to optimization problems. Perhaps I'm running into some
questionable s/w. For now, my requirements were to only show a mobile
phone registering with the s/w PBX. Voice was not part of the initial
requirements. However, for demonstration purposes I would really like
to have it working.

Thanks for you confirmation Al, it gives me a start if I have to work
on this problem.


On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Al Johnson
<openmoko at> wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2008, john dowd wrote:
>> I have a Neo freerunner running the 2008.9 load. I have it configured
>> to connect using Wifi to my access point using WPA2 encryption. I do
>> NOT have a SIMM card in my phone.
>> I have managed to make a connection to the PBX sitting on the other
>> side of the Access Point. However, the audio that I'm getting is so
>> badly broken that it's incomprehensible. I have seen the CPU
>> utilization going to 78% using top (not a good way to measure I know).
>> What I'm wondering is, does the Neo have the horsepower to be able to
>> do this? Is this just an optimization problem that can be addressed or
>> am I pushing the phone beyond it's ability.
>> Cheers!!
> I have made SIP calls using the linphone CLI over wifi with WPA-TKIP and the
> audio quality was fine. I don't recall which codec it was using, but the
> Freerunner is certainly capable of making high quality SIP calls over
> encrypted wifi.
> _______________________________________________
> Openmoko community mailing list
> community at

                              John Dowd
                              jdowd at
                              133 Waverley St.
                              Ottawa Ont. K2P 0V3
                              Home: (613)234-7884
                              Cell: (613)316-7884

More information about the community mailing list