Default IP Address on All Distributions

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Dec 20 09:41:31 CET 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:55:22 +0000, Stroller
<stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2008, at 18:50, Sargun Dhillon wrote:
>
>> Most Linux users, or most users that this device is aimed at are
>> intelligent enough ...
>
> Clearly you weren't about reading the many, MANY support posts at the
> time of the Freerunner's release.
>
> At that time questions on this subject would be posted to the list
> SEVERAL TIMES PER DAY.
>
> I haven't read the support list or IRC in a while, but I would doubt
> that such questions have become uncommon - just that the number of new
> users has dropped to a trickle.

Also the Wiki has helped.  At the start, even when such information was on
the wiki, there was IMHO less tendency of new users to look there first.

> If the default IP address continues to be in the 192.168.0.x,
> 192.168.1.y or 192.168.2.z ranges then it'll just cause problems for
> all the many n00bs when sales spike again in the future.
>
> Stroller.

My personal favorite solution is what I just reimplemented on my desktop:
just bridge eth0 and usb0 on the desktop.  Trouble is it's rather
unportable that way, unless you use DHCP on the FR, which means you'd need
to check the IP before SSHing to it.  With a GUI hint telling us the DHCP
IP address, though, it's something to think about.  I also suspect that
bridging the interfaces would be simpler under Windows than NATting.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)