[FSO/Illume] Program icons not showing up

Ingvaldur Sigurjonsson ingi at telia.com
Sat Dec 20 21:40:14 CET 2008

Joel Newkirk wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:06:26 +0100, Ingvaldur Sigurjonsson <ingi at telia.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>    I'm running a home-built installation of fso-testing-image on my
>> Freerunner (GTA02v5). I update ($ make update) my installation atleast
>> twice a week. For some time I haven't seen the program icons in Illume.
>> I've tried to remove the .e/-directory without success. I've even
>> reflashed the phone with both new kernel-images and *rootfs*.jffs-images.
>>
>>    Zhone starts allright and I can switch to the other desktops but I
>> never see the icons I once saw. Enlightenment says it sees '17 files'
>> when starting but yet, no icons.
>>
>>    Does anyone know a) why, b) how to fix it.
>>
>> --
>> ex animo
>> - Ingi
>
> Just a guess based on a known 'problem': Check the .desktop files in
> /usr/share/applications.  Take a look at the "categories" entries in the
> .desktop files, and if you see "application", try changing it to
> "applications".

   Thank you Joel for your prompt reply. I edited all the .desktop-files
in /usr/share/applications to read 'Applications' instead of
'Application' in the 'Categories' entry but to no avail. Once again I
stopped the X-server, removed the .e/ .local/ Desktop/ directories and
restarted the X-server, but still same result i.e. no icons.

   Searching for all .desktop-files reveals some in
.e/e/appshadow-directory. Some of them have multiple
'Categories'-entries ! Here's the one representing the Calculator:

   root at om-gta02:~# cat ./.e/e/appshadow/0000.desktop
   [Desktop Entry]
   Name=Calculator
   Name[fr]=Calculatrice
   Name[it]=Calcolatrice
   Name[ru]=Калькулятор
   Name[sv]=Miniräknare
   Comment=Perform simple calculations
   Encoding=UTF-8
   Version=1.0
   Type=Application
   Exec=openmoko-calculator
   Icon=openmoko-calculator
   Terminal=false
   Categories=GTK;Applications;Office
   SingleInstance=true
   StartupNotify=true
   Categories=Office;

   I guess that these files are generated from somewhere so editing them
isn't going to help...

   Maybe Rasterman can shed some light on this ?

--
ex animo
- Ingi